Greatness. It’s been the one word that’s been thrown around leading up to tonight’s UFC Light Heavyweight title fight in Atlanta, Georgia. It’s been the word that the company has attached to their relentless campaign in promoting this “grudge match”. It’s also a word that should NOT be thrown around lightly. So does a 24 year old Champion named Jon Jones who has only held said title for just over a year deserve to be put up on this pedestal?
His first four title fights have come against all former champions in the Light Heavyweight division. Not only has Jones come out the victor of each of these fights, they haven’t even been close. He manhandled Shogun, one of the most dangerous and violent fighters of all time. He toyed with Rampage. Some would argue that he only took that fight into the 4th round just to prove a point. He faced adversity against Machida, eventually finishing him in one of the most violent finishes of 2011. Although he couldn’t finish Rashad tonight this just may be the most impressive win of Jones’ young career. The poise that the Champion possessed leading up to fight night along with the grace he showed inside of the cage for 25 full minutes are only a small taste of what we have to look forward to as fans of the sport. If you take a look back into the archives of any mixed martial arts website you’ll see us tout Jon Jones as a future champion in this sport. Watching it happen though, like this – that’s just a whole different story. This is greatness. This is Jon Jones.
Final Result: Jon Jones (C) (16-1) defeats Rashad Evans (17-2-1) via UD (49-46 x 2, 50-45)
- UFC 175 ‘Weidman vs. Machida’ Extended Preview - June 25, 2014
- TTHS: Meet TUF 20′s Carla Esparza and Felice Herrig - June 25, 2014
- Mike ‘Shredder’ Garrett does it again (Video) - June 17, 2014
- The official event poster for UFC 176 ‘Aldo vs. Mendes II’ is worthy of your wall - June 13, 2014
- UFC Fight Night 46 ‘McGregor vs. Brandao’ event poster, updated fight card - June 11, 2014
- Static II: Nick Diaz vs. Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller - June 11, 2014
- HOV: The Final Pick Em - May 23, 2014
- UFC 173 ‘Barao vs. Dillashaw’ Finalized Lineup - May 1, 2014
- UFC 172 ‘Jones vs. Teixeira’ title fight highlights - April 27, 2014
- UFC 172 ‘Jones vs. Teixeira’ weigh-in results and replay - April 25, 2014