Greatness. It’s been the one word that’s been thrown around leading up to tonight’s UFC Light Heavyweight title fight in Atlanta, Georgia. It’s been the word that the company has attached to their relentless campaign in promoting this “grudge match”. It’s also a word that should NOT be thrown around lightly. So does a 24 year old Champion named Jon Jones who has only held said title for just over a year deserve to be put up on this pedestal?
His first four title fights have come against all former champions in the Light Heavyweight division. Not only has Jones come out the victor of each of these fights, they haven’t even been close. He manhandled Shogun, one of the most dangerous and violent fighters of all time. He toyed with Rampage. Some would argue that he only took that fight into the 4th round just to prove a point. He faced adversity against Machida, eventually finishing him in one of the most violent finishes of 2011. Although he couldn’t finish Rashad tonight this just may be the most impressive win of Jones’ young career. The poise that the Champion possessed leading up to fight night along with the grace he showed inside of the cage for 25 full minutes are only a small taste of what we have to look forward to as fans of the sport. If you take a look back into the archives of any mixed martial arts website you’ll see us tout Jon Jones as a future champion in this sport. Watching it happen though, like this – that’s just a whole different story. This is greatness. This is Jon Jones.
Final Result: Jon Jones (C) (16-1) defeats Rashad Evans (17-2-1) via UD (49-46 x 2, 50-45)
- UFC 183 ‘Silva vs. Diaz’ weigh-in results and replay; Gastelum and Lineker miss weight - January 31, 2015
- UFC 183: Silva-Diaz face off at media day - January 30, 2015
- Warrior Code: UFC 184’s Ronda Rousey - January 28, 2015
- UFC on FOX 14: Gustafsson vs. Johnson full fight highlights - January 25, 2015
- “Heavy Hitter” Dan Henderson talks H-Bomb ahead of UFC on FOX 14 - January 24, 2015
- Anderson Silva defends “personal friend” Jon Jones - January 24, 2015
- Who’s first for Bellator’s Kimbo Slice? - January 22, 2015
- Bellator 132 Highlight: Patricio Pitbull submits Daniel Straus to retain featherweight strap - January 18, 2015
- Jon Jones on cocaine incident: “Just really got caught with my pants down” - January 18, 2015
- UFC 183’s Miesha Tate wants stand up war with Sara McMann - January 18, 2015