Greatness. It’s been the one word that’s been thrown around leading up to tonight’s UFC Light Heavyweight title fight in Atlanta, Georgia. It’s been the word that the company has attached to their relentless campaign in promoting this “grudge match”. It’s also a word that should NOT be thrown around lightly. So does a 24 year old Champion named Jon Jones who has only held said title for just over a year deserve to be put up on this pedestal?
His first four title fights have come against all former champions in the Light Heavyweight division. Not only has Jones come out the victor of each of these fights, they haven’t even been close. He manhandled Shogun, one of the most dangerous and violent fighters of all time. He toyed with Rampage. Some would argue that he only took that fight into the 4th round just to prove a point. He faced adversity against Machida, eventually finishing him in one of the most violent finishes of 2011. Although he couldn’t finish Rashad tonight this just may be the most impressive win of Jones’ young career. The poise that the Champion possessed leading up to fight night along with the grace he showed inside of the cage for 25 full minutes are only a small taste of what we have to look forward to as fans of the sport. If you take a look back into the archives of any mixed martial arts website you’ll see us tout Jon Jones as a future champion in this sport. Watching it happen though, like this – that’s just a whole different story. This is greatness. This is Jon Jones.
Final Result: Jon Jones (C) (16-1) defeats Rashad Evans (17-2-1) via UD (49-46 x 2, 50-45)
- Invicta FC 13 ‘Cyborg vs. Van Duin’ weigh-in results and replay - July 8, 2015
- Invicta FC 12 Full Fight Card & Event Info - March 27, 2015
- TVP: Gonzaga Cro Cop’s Cro Cop in Manchester - March 23, 2015
- UFC 189 ‘Aldo vs. McGregor’ World Tour Press Conference Replay - March 20, 2015
- Poetic Violence: Ronda Rousey armbars Cat Zingano in super, super slo-mo - March 18, 2015
- UFC 185 Highlight: Ross Pearson KO’s Sam Stout with a savage left hook - March 16, 2015
- UFC 185 Highlights: Rafael dos Anjos demolishes Anthony Pettis to become UFC lightweight champion - March 16, 2015
- UFC 185 weigh-in highlights - March 13, 2015
- UFC 185 ‘Pettis vs. Dos Anjos’ pick em - March 13, 2015
- UFC 185 ‘Embedded’ Episodes 1-2 - March 11, 2015