Greatness. It’s been the one word that’s been thrown around leading up to tonight’s UFC Light Heavyweight title fight in Atlanta, Georgia. It’s been the word that the company has attached to their relentless campaign in promoting this “grudge match”. It’s also a word that should NOT be thrown around lightly. So does a 24 year old Champion named Jon Jones who has only held said title for just over a year deserve to be put up on this pedestal?
His first four title fights have come against all former champions in the Light Heavyweight division. Not only has Jones come out the victor of each of these fights, they haven’t even been close. He manhandled Shogun, one of the most dangerous and violent fighters of all time. He toyed with Rampage. Some would argue that he only took that fight into the 4th round just to prove a point. He faced adversity against Machida, eventually finishing him in one of the most violent finishes of 2011. Although he couldn’t finish Rashad tonight this just may be the most impressive win of Jones’ young career. The poise that the Champion possessed leading up to fight night along with the grace he showed inside of the cage for 25 full minutes are only a small taste of what we have to look forward to as fans of the sport. If you take a look back into the archives of any mixed martial arts website you’ll see us tout Jon Jones as a future champion in this sport. Watching it happen though, like this – that’s just a whole different story. This is greatness. This is Jon Jones.
Final Result: Jon Jones (C) (16-1) defeats Rashad Evans (17-2-1) via UD (49-46 x 2, 50-45)
- TVP: Penne bathes Ellis in her own blood at Invicta FC 1 - September 24, 2014
- TVP: Nakai submits Gonzales at Pancrase 247 - September 17, 2014
- Paul ‘Semtex’ Daley explodes Rocha’s liver at BAMMA 16 - September 14, 2014
- Here’s the Tito-Bonnar brawl you may or may not have missed - September 5, 2014
- TUF 20: ‘The Tiny Tornado’ needs an outlet - September 5, 2014
- GIFS of Doom: Dillashaw merks Soto in Sactown - August 31, 2014
- Full Fight: Relive the Cage Warriors 70 main event between Duffy and Lapilus - August 28, 2014
- UFC 177 ‘Embedded’ Episodes 1 & 2 - August 27, 2014
- UFC Fight Night 49 Highlights: Dos Anjos blasts Bendo - August 24, 2014
- UFC Fight Night 49 ‘Henderson vs. Dos Anjos’ weigh-in highlights - August 22, 2014